[Moon] Recovery Assistance Request: IRVINE02

Rainer df6na at df6na.de
Tue Dec 11 04:45:04 CET 2018

Hello EMEers

Thank-you W9IP for permission to make this off-topic post.

IRVINE02 was launched on the recent SpaceX SSO-A mission with a large
number of other objects.  During the process of commissioning we
initially heard weak signals from IRVINE02 and began the process of
identify the satellite's orbit.  However, the signals have gotten weaker
and the we are unable to proceed with orbital characterization so we can
get a command station to take control of the satellite.

IRVINE02 transmits on 437.450MHz ± Doppler.  It uses FSK 9K6 (G3RUH)
mode and FM CW at an interval of ~17 seconds between transmissions.

We suspect that the antenna is mis-orientated which is causing weak
down-link signal.

Based on the limited Doppler evaluations done to-date our best guess is
that IRVINE02's is best represented by the Spacetrack TLE 43789, Object AH.

What we'd like to request is suitably equipped amateur 70cm stations
take up a 'planar' scan for the presence of signals from IRVINE02 and
record time vs frequency data of those signals and/or take timings of
the signal as it passes through your beam. Concurrent recording of IQ
data for later detailed analysis by our comms team would be
appreciated.  Reports of no observation are also relevant with details
of the equipment used, time and location of station.

I propose that a high gain/directive station aim either at the AOS point
or LOS point of the expected orbital plane and collect that data while
the angular motion of the satellite is minimal so there is a good chance
of multiple data points being established. The station would begin
monitoring many minutes before expected AOS and for many minutes after
and take note of any signals ± Doppler of 437.450MHz.

Any interested stations can contact me off list for further information
and co-ordination of activity.

https://www.irvinecubesat.org/ is a high school STEM program and the
students would appreciate the support in regaining contact with IRVINE02
so their ambitious experiments can proceed.

tu es 73

Scott Tilley

VE7TIL

On twitter @coastal8049