[Moon] Yaesu elevation rotor issues, coax relays

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 6 13:47:13 CET 2018

Hey all,

Hopefully this is close enough to on-topic... I have a G-5400B package which includes the old KenPro elevation rotor with screw terminals on the control cable.  Recently (actually before the cold weather) it appears to have just stopped working.  The wires from the control box are all good.  The motor appears to not run at all, but ~32VAC appears on the motor terminals so it is not a fuse or anything like that.  I tried manually going out and wiggling the crossboom back and forth with the switch on just in case it might help free something up, but there's so much gear reduction I'm not surprised that nothing really happened.

>From doing some web searching it appears that there are some known issues with the unit not being sealed very well and therefore rusting... also with the capacitors dying.  In any case, it appears it's something I will need to deal with off the mast.

I'm glad to have some suggestions on what to look for myself, but I'm also curious if anyone has used a repair person on such rotors that they would recommend.

Finally, I am also looking for some SPDT N-female relays that can handle "moderate digital EME" power (like, 1kw on 2m, a couple hundred watts on 23cm).

I assume the state of the art these days is to have a separate preamp cutout relay that is terminated?  I've seen photos of internally terminated DPDT relays, but never seen one actually for sale... and besides, some extra control in sequencing might be nice.  On the other hand, it would be nice to avoid more insertion loss...?

Thanks,

Patrick
KB8DGC